Health Research Ethics
Key provincial health research ethics activities are housed at Alberta Innovates - Health Solutions.
Research studies which involve the health of humans or their health information must be evaluated to ensure that they being carried out ethically. This means that in each study demonstrates:
- Respect for human dignity
- Respect for free and informed consent
- Respect for vulnerable persons
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Respect for justice and inclusiveness
- Consideration of harms and benefits
These ethical principles are used by research ethics boards throughout Canada and North America, who follow the Tri-Council Policy Statement on Ethical Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2; 2014).
Alberta Innovates – Health Solutions is a cornerstone of health research ethics in Alberta:
- helping to streamline health research ethics review in Alberta by managing the Health Research Ethics Harmonization (HREH) initiative;
- playing a central role in developing and maintaining ARECCI—A pRoject Ethics Community Consensus Initiative;
- managing HREBA, one of Alberta’s three Health Information Act-designated Research Ethics Boards
For more information:
Karine Morin, LLM, Executive Director, Platforms
Are you interested in playing a role in research ethics in Alberta? The HREBA – Cancer ... Read More »
Sorry, there are no upcoming events.