AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship: Impact Assessment
Next expected deadline: TBD
Value & Term
$70,000 per year for up to 3 years
What is the AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship?
What are the objectives of the AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship?
Who is eligible to apply?
What opportunities does the AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship provide?
How do I apply?
What is the review process?
This Fellowship is named in honour of Dr. Cy Frank whose vision for a transformed health system included positioning Alberta as a leader in the assessment of health research and innovation. The AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship in Impact Assessment is one way in which we aim to carry forward his legacy and commit to his vision.
The AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship provides an opportunity for the successful recipients to gain practice-based experience in impact assessment in the health research and innovation environment. This practice-based experience will be complemented by the mentorship of an academic advisor of the Fellow’s choosing from an Alberta university.
Note: The terms ‘assessment’ and ‘evaluation’ are used interchangeably for the purposes of this Fellowship.
The Fellowship will:
- Attract and develop highly skilled research evaluators to build advanced capacity in evaluating the impact of health research and innovation in Alberta,
- Engage the Fellow in broad practice-based experiences and professional development opportunities under the direction of a practice-based advisor,
- Support the Fellow in developing research skills under the co-direction of an academic advisor,
- Enhance professionalization by supporting the Fellow’s development in the key competency areas required to attain the Canadian Evaluation Society professional designation of Credentialed Evaluator (CE). It is anticipated that the Fellow will work towards applying for this designation, and
- Advance knowledge in health research and innovation assessment through publications and presentations.
Applicants are required to:
- Hold a PhD in health sciences or related social science discipline
- Demonstrate the relevance of the Fellowship to their career goals in the application
- Identify the support of an academic advisor with an academic appointment at an Alberta university. For out of province applicants, please contact us if you have questions about this requirement.
Preference will be given to applicants with training and/or experience in the areas of evaluation theory or practice, applied research, and/or health.
A. Advisory Support and Mentorship
The Fellows will work within the Performance Management and Evaluation (PME) unit at the AIHS office in Edmonton to provide evaluation services to PME clients under the co-direction of a practice-based advisor and an academic advisor. The goal is to build the Fellow’s capacity in the key competency areas for Canadian evaluation practice.
B. Practice-based Experience
The Fellow will have the opportunity to work on various evaluation projects with a broad number of stakeholder groups. The Fellow will be exposed to all aspects of the evaluation process as well as to the tools, frameworks, and methods that guide our work at AIHS.
C. Professional Development
The AIHS Cy Frank Fellow will have the opportunity to participate in professional development opportunities provided by AIHS, as appropriate and pending available funds.
Important: Please review the AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship Information Document before applying.
- AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship – Information Document PDF (149KB)
All applications will undergo a review process by a committee comprised of professional evaluators, academics in the area of evaluation research, and AIHS Performance Management and Evaluation staff. Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence of applicant,
- Academic excellence of academic advisor,
- Relevance and quality of work, research, and/or evaluation experience,
- Motivation to develop knowledge and practice in health research and innovation, evaluation, and evaluation research, and
- Alignment of the applicants’ skills and career aspirations to the objectives of the AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship
For more information:
Performance Management and Evaluation (PME) team,
AIHS Cy Frank Fellowship – Information Document PDF (149KB)
Cy Frank Fellowships News:
Making the everyday normal again »
Bridge Builder »
Cy Frank Fellowship in Impact Assessment »