Next expected deadline: TBD
Value & Term
$70,000 per year, and a research and career development allowance of $5,000 per year for up to 3 years
What is the Clinician Fellowship?
The Clinician Fellowship provides opportunities for individuals with clinical credentials to undertake graduate or postgraduate research in a health professional or health-related program.
What are the objectives of the Clinician Fellowship Opportunity?
The Clinician Fellowship will:
- Provide support to highly qualified individuals who hold an MD, and/or health professional degrees, and who anticipate undertaking a career in health-related or clinical research in Alberta.
Who is eligible to apply?
To apply for a Clinician Fellowship, you must:
- Hold an MD-PhD, health professional degree or health professional degree-PhD at the time of award implementation. The health professional degree must be in a regulated health profession in Alberta such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, veterinary medicine, chiropractic, nursing or rehabilitative sciences. The health professional degree must require at least a Bachelor’s degree and be eligible for licensure in Canada.
- Have completed all Canadian clinical requirements, be licensable in Alberta, and must have a practice permit and/or licence to work as a health care professional in Alberta at the time of award implementation.
We will consider supporting Clinician Fellowship recipients for training outside of Alberta from Canadian citizens or permanent residents with:
- Justification for the need or opportunity that the training presents relative to the career plans of the individual;
- Strong institutional support at an Alberta-based institution (eg. Faculty Dean, CEO of a hospital, or medical officer of a health region) as demonstrated by an interest in the Fellow’s future recruitment back to the province.
How do I apply?
Important: Please review the Clinician Researcher Training Stream Program Guide before applying.
What is the review process?
All applications undergo a rigorous review process by a committee whose membership is both interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral. Applicants for the Clinician Fellowship will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevant work and/or research experience
- Career development plans
- Supervisory team, and the research and mentorship environment
- Research proposal
For more information:
Nicole Tjepkema, Officer, Industry & Technology
Clinician Fellowship News:
To vaccinate or not? »
Focusing on abilities »
The clot challengers »
April 2017 Clinician Fellowship »
April 2016 Clinician Fellowship »
April 2015 Clinician Fellowship »
April 2014 Clinician Fellowship »